Six Ingredients That Will Help You to Get Along in Relationships
Be harmonious and sympathetic
- Sympathy meets two basic needs:
- To be understood
- To validate our feelings
- How do I become sympathetic?
- Learn to listen
- James 1:19b (NAS) But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger.
- Try to put yourself in their situation.
- I Peter 3:8 (NAS) To sum up, all of you be harmonious, sympathetic, brotherly.
- Romans 12:10 (NAS) Be devoted to one another in brotherly love; give preference to one another in honor.
- Being “brotherly” means commitment to that person!
- I Corinthians 13:7 (NLT) Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance.
- Romans 15:7a (NAS) So accept each other just as Christ has accepted you.
- “Acceptance” means my love for you is not dependent upon you changing!
- I Peter 3:8 (NAS) To sum up, all of you be harmonious, sympathetic, brotherly, kindhearted.
- Colossians 3:12 (NAS) So, as those who have been chosen of God, holy and beloved, put on a heart of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.
- “Kindness” - - “Love in action”
- By what we say to other people.
- Ephesians 4:29 (NAS) Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, so that it will give grace to those who hear.
- By how we act toward each other.
- I John 3:18 (NAS) Little children, let us not love with word or with tongue, but in deed and truth.
Be humble in spirit
- I Peter 3:8 (NAS) To sum up, all of you be harmonious, sympathetic, brotherly, kindhearted, and humble in spirit.
- Proverbs 29:23 (NAS) A man’s pride will bring him low, but a humble spirit will obtain honor.
- James 4:10 (NAS) Humble yourselves in the presence of the Lord, and He will exalt you.
- I Peter 5:6 (NAS) Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you at the proper time.
- “I was wrong!”
- “Please forgive me.”
- I Peter 3:9 (NLT) Don’t repay evil for evil. Don’t retaliate when people say unkind things about you. Instead, pay them back with a blessing. That is what God wants you to do, and he will bless you for it.
- Mercy is giving more kindness than justice demands!
- Colossians 3:13 (NAS) Bearing with one another, and forgiving each other, whoever has a complaint against anyone; just as the Lord forgave you, so also should you.
- Forgiveness is a choice, not an emotion!
- I Peter 3:10-11 (NLT) 10For the Scriptures say, “If you want a happy life and good days, keep your tongue from speaking evil, and keep your lips from telling lies. 11Turn away from evil and do good. Work hard at living in peace with others.”
- Psalm 141:3 (NAS) Set a guard, O LORD, over my mouth; keep watch over the door of my lips.
- Proverbs 12:25 (NAS) Anxiety in a man’s heart weighs it down, but a good word makes it glad.
- The more selfish you are, the more immature you are!
- Let’s all make it a goal to grow up, before we grow old!