The Extraordinary Church
An Integrity-Filled Church
February 28-March 1, 2015
- What Does Integrity Look Like?
- Acts 4:36-37 (NAS) 36Now Joseph, a Levite of Cyprian birth, who was also called Barnabas by the apostles (which translated means Son of Encouragement),37and who owned a tract of land, sold it and brought the money and laid it at the apostles’ feet.
- Acts 5:1-2 (NAS) 1But a man named Ananias, with his wife Sapphira, sold a piece of property,2and kept back some of the price for himself, with his wife’s full knowledge, and bringing a portion of it, he laid it at the apostles’ feet.
- They wanted a good reputation without a good reality.
- Acts 5:3-5 (NAS) 3But Peter said, “Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit and to keep back some of the price of the land?4While it remained unsold, did it not remain your own? And after it was sold, was it not under your control? Why is it that you have conceived this deed in your heart? You have not lied to men but to God.”5And as he heard these words, Ananias fell down and breathed his last; and great fear came over all who heard of it.
- Why Does God Hate Lying So Much?
- The damage lying does to others
- The damage lying does to the liar
- Acts 5:3 (NAS) But Peter said, “Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit and to keep back some of the price of the land?”
- Ephesians 4:26-27 (NAS) 26Be angry, and yet do not sin; do not let the sun go down on your anger,27and do not give the devil an opportunity.
- It will destroy your Christian faith.
- I Timothy 1:19 (NLT) Cling to your faith in Christ, and keep your conscience clear. For some people have deliberately violated their consciences; as a result, their faith has been shipwrecked.
- God exposes lying!
- What Creates Integrity?
- Admit when you’ve blown it!
- Acts 5:7-8 (NAS) 7Now there elapsed an interval of about three hours, and his wife came in, not knowing what had happened.8And Peter responded to her, “Tell me whether you sold the land for such and such a price?” And she said, “Yes, that was the price.”
- “The central defect of true evil is not the sin, but the refusal to acknowledge it.” (M. Scott Peck)
- Fear the Lord.
- Acts 5:5 (NAS) And as he heard these words, Ananias fell down and breathed his last; and great fear came over all who heard of it.
- Acts 5:11 (NAS) And great fear came over the whole church, and over all who heard of these things.
- Fear your own sin.
- The blood of Jesus Christ can restore our consciences!
- I John 1:9 (NAS) If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.