Wisdom for Living
Facing the Future
November 22-23, 2014
- Mistakes When Facing the Future
- Planning without God
- James 4:13 (NAS) Come now, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go to such and such a city, and spend a year there and engage in business and make a profit.”
- Include God in your planning and goal setting!
- James 4:15 (NAS) Instead, you ought to say, “If the Lord wills, we will live and also do this or that.”
- Presuming about tomorrow
- James 4:14, 16 (NAS) 14Yet you do not know what your life will be like tomorrow. You are just a vapor that appears for a little while and then vanishes away.16But as it is, you boast in your arrogance; all such boasting is evil.
- Life is unpredictable.
- Proverbs 3:5 (NAS) Trust in the LORD with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding.
- Life is brief.
- Isaiah 56:12 (NAS) “Come,” they say, “let us get wine, and let us drink heavily of strong drink; and tomorrow will be like today, only more so.”
- Proverbs 27:1 (NAS) Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring forth.
- Live one day at a time!
- Matthew 6:34 (NAS) “So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
- Putting off doing what is right
- James 4:17 (NAS) Therefore, to one who knows the right thing to do and does not do it, to him it is sin.
- Do it now!
- Proverbs 3:27-28 (NAS) 27Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to do it.28Do not say to your neighbor, “Go, and come back, and tomorrow I will give it,” when you have it with you.
- There are really three things you can do with your life:
- You can spend your life.
- You can waste your life on different things.
- We can invest our life.
- Matthew 25:26a (NAS) “But his master answered and said to him, ‘You wicked, lazy slave.’”