October 9-10, 2010
Series: The Kingdom on Earth
Speaker: Brian T. Anderson
Download Notes (PDF)
- Leviticus 19:12 (NLT) “Do not bring shame on the name of your God by using it to swear falsely. I am the LORD.”
- Numbers 30:2 (NLT) A man who makes a vow to the LORD or makes a pledge under oath must never break it. He must do exactly what he said he would do.
- Deuteronomy 23:21 (NLT) “When you make a vow to the LORD your God, be prompt in fulfilling whatever you promised him. For the LORD your God demands that you promptly fulfill all your vows, or you will be guilty of sin.”
- Matthew 23:16-22 (NLT) 16“Blind guides! What sorrow awaits you! For you say that it means nothing to swear ‘by God’s Temple,’ but that it is binding to swear ‘by the gold in the Temple.’ 17Blind fools! Which is more important—the gold or the Temple that makes the gold sacred? 18And you say that to swear ‘by the altar’ is not binding, but to swear ‘by the gifts on the altar’ is binding. 19How blind! For which is more important—the gift on the altar or the altar that makes the gift sacred? 20When you swear ‘by the altar,’ you are swearing by it and by everything on it. 21And when you swear ‘by the Temple,’ you are swearing by it and by God, who lives in it. 22And when you swear ‘by heaven,’ you are swearing by the throne of God and by God, who sits on the throne.”
- Matthew 5:37 (NAS) “But let your statement be, ‘Yes, yes’ or ‘No, no’; and anything beyond these is of evil.”
- Matthew 12:34 (NAS) “You brood of vipers, how can you, being evil, speak what is good? For the mouth speaks out of that which fills the heart.”
- James 3:5-6 (NAS) 5So also the tongue is a small part of the body, and yet it boasts of great things. Behold, how great a forest is set aflame by such a small fire! 6And the tongue is a fire, the very world of iniquity; the tongue is set among our members as that which defiles the entire body, and sets on fire the course of our life, and is set on fire by hell.
- How Do We Let Our “Yes” be “Yes”?
- Let our word be our word in all circumstances.
- Proverbs 12:22 (NLT) The LORD detests lying lips, but he delights in those who tell the truth.
- Tell the whole truth.
- Proverbs 10:10a (NAS) He who winks the eye causes trouble.
- Tell the truth lovingly.
- Ephesians 4:15a (NAS) But speaking the truth in love.
- Ephesians 4:29 (NAS) Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, that it may give grace to those who hear.
- Tell the truth tactfully.
- Proverbs 12:18 (NAS) There is one who speaks rashly like the thrusts of a sword, But the tongue of the wise brings healing.
- How to be tactful:
- Plan your presentation.
- Choose the proper time.
- Soak it in prayer!